413 Fireworks Victim

The victims who welcome 2013 in the country have reached to 413 people according to the Department of Health (DOH).

At a press conference conducted at the East Avenue Medical Center in Quezon City, said Health Secretary Enrique Ona to the recorded 413 victims here are 404 fireworks-related injuries, 8 cases of Stray bullet and another of the ingestion or edible fireworks.

Ona said that such number is lower by 17% compared to cases recorded last year.

For the past 5 years, the cases of fireworks-related injuries are lowering down in DOH records and the active campaign of DOH against firecrackers is said to be a great help.

Many fireworks are also reportedly high quality and safe to use, knowing that prohibited fireworks are strictly monitored therefore the fireworks being sold in the market are not becoming very dangerous.

Ona admits that their monitoring is still on-going since it is expected to have more record of cases within the next day because some are still using their leftover firecrackers. DOH reminds again not to glean un-exploded fireworks because it is more dangerous.

“Ito ang ating nagi­ging problema na may mga paputok na itinapon na pinupulot naman lalo ng mga bata kaya dapat bantayan ng mga magulang ang kanilang mga anak,” Ona added.

Victims’ Kin: Maguindanao Annihilation Cases Running Actual Slow

The families of the Maguindanao annihilation victims on Wednesday decried the snail-paced balloon of the accused in the assorted massacre case.

In a media conference at the University of the Philippines-Law Center in Diliman, Quezon City, the annihilation victims’ ancestors alleged on President Benigno Aquino III and the Department of Justice for an accelerated resolution of the case.

Statement from Monette Salaysay, wife of the murdered media worker Napoleon Salaysay: “Sobrang bagal po. Madaming tanong sa kaisipan na pumasok. Patas ba ang batas dito sa Pilipinas? Fifty-eight po ang pinatay. Brutally killed. Pakiramdam po namin pinaikot-ikot lang,”

She cited the time if they heard that one of the arch accused, Zaldy Ampatuan, former ARMM governor, was to be arraigned but his aegis admonition against it.

“Ang layo po ng hustisya sa mga biktima,” she added.

Noemi Parcon, wife of announcer Joel Parcon who was a part of the annihilation victims, alleged on Quezon City Regional Trial Adjudicator Jocelyn Solis-Reyes to adjudge on the case which has already abject on for three years.

Parcon said the testimonies and the pieces of affirmation that accept already been presented afore the cloister are acceptable for the adjudicator to cede a verdict.

The families’ as well feared that the case would abide waiting in court continued afore they are dead.

“Baka mamya patay na kami pero hindi pa rin natatapos ang kaso at hindi pa namin nakakamit ang katarungan,” they said.

New Quezon City Jail Facility For Inmates With TB

The overcrowded jail in Quezon City  will minimize the victim of Tuberculosis because it will enlarge the needed space and services for close of 150 inmates that currently stricken with tuberculosis (TB).

According to Quezon City Warden Joseph Vela, the 5 rooms of infirmary that has been build last December 2011 are for the patient who acquired Tuberculosis under the category of 4,2 and 1.

Each of the following patient will have their own beds, personal cabinets, chairs, while they are in jail. There is also a comfort room, lavatory, blower and 2 Ultra Violet (UV) lights for the sanitation of air.

Jail infirmary in Quezon City realized that, the very first controlled jails of Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) are complete in Medical Assistance, like personal nurse and caregivers that will take care of the said patient.

It also have medicine cabinets, comfort room, lavatory, refrigerator for medicine, water dispenser, executive chairs, push cart for medicine and UV lights for protection of the personnel from acquiring the said illness.

On the other hand, the said infirmary renovation are signed last Saturday where in BJMP-NCR Director S/Supt. Romeo Vio, Officer-in-Charge C/Supt. Diony Mamaril and World Health Organization (WHO) Western Pacific Regional Office Medical Officer Dr. Katsunori Osuga attended the said turn over ceremony .

Back to School

MANILA, Philippines – Education Secretary Mona Valisno will lead the annual inspection of schools today when around 23 million public and private school children troop back to different learning institutions nationwide.

Valisno, with other school officials, will make the rounds around 8 a.m. at the Nangka Elementary School on Balubad St. in Marikina City.

The officials will then proceed to Don Alejandro Roces Sr. School and Technical High School on Roces Avenue, in Brgy. Obrero, Quezon City, around 9:15 a.m.

The visit to selected schools in Metro Manila is part of the activities for Department of Education’s “Oplan Balik Eskwela” with the theme “Tara Na! Balik Eskwela Na.”

Last week, the DepEd has activated a command center at its main office to receive complaints and queries from parents and guardians regarding the school opening. – By Dennis Carcamo (Philstar News Service, www.philstar.com)

Cesar Montano’s son commits suicide

MANILA, Philippines – (The 23-year-old son of actor Cesar Montano died in an apparent suicide in their home in Quezon City on Friday morning.

Initial police reports said Christian Angelo Manhilot, the actor’s son with his first wife, shot himself in the head with a .45 pistol inside their home along Yakal Street, Tivoli Royale subdivision in Barangay Batasan Hills around 6:18 a.m.

Superintendent Chris Mendoza, commander of the Batasan Police Station, said police investigators could not immediately conclude that it was suicide.

“Puwede nating sabihing suicide pero we will investigate deeper para malaman kung ano ang pangyayari (We can say that it’s suicide, but we will investigate deeper to determine what really happened),” Mendoza said.

The police commander said Manhilot was rushed to Malvar Hospital in Quezon City and was declared dead at 6:40 a.m.. The boy died of a single gunshot wound in the head.

Read more>>

Parts of Metro Manila experience three-hour brownouts

Daily brownouts lasting up to three hours in some parts of Metro Manila may be experienced in the next five days, energy officials said Monday.

Expected to take place anytime between 10 AM to 10 PM, power outages were caused by problems with two major power plants, Dina Lomotan, a spokesperson for Meralco, said in an interview on dzBB radio.

Among the affected areas include Las Piñas, Makati, Malabon, Parañaque, Quezon City, Valenzuela, Muntinlupa, Pasig, Pateros and Taguig, a separate Balitanghali report on Monday said.

The National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) advised Meralco of problems at the Masinloc and Sual power plants only on Sunday night, Lomotan added.

The NGCP runs the country’s power grid, transmitting electricity from power plants to utilities such as Meralco.

Read more>>

Quezon City judges volunteer to try Ampatuan cases

MANILA, Philippines – Judges of the Quezon City Regional Trial Court assured Chief Justice Reynato Puno yesterday that they were ready to handle the trial of Datu Unsay Mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr. for the Maguindanao massacre.

The judges gave the assurance after Judge Luisito Cortez of the RTC’s Branch 84 expressed fears for his family’s safety and backed out from handling the case.

Lawyer Gleo Guerra, Supreme Court deputy spokesperson, said there were judges in the QC RTC who were willing to handle the case and volunteered to be assigned to it.

Puno declined their offer because he wanted to follow the rule on raffling off cases after the SC allowed Cortez to inhibit himself from the 25 counts of murder filed against Ampatuan.

Fifty-seven people, including 30 journalists, were butchered in Ampatuan town in Maguindanao last Nov. 23.

Read More>>

Stars make sure they will be heard

Angelica Panganiban

MANILA, Philippines — Kapamilya stars turned up Wednesday for a special voter registration mounted by the network and the Commission on Elections.

Rayver Cruz, Rodjun Cruz, Cass Ponti, Princess Ryan, Josef Elizalde, Cris Pastor, Pokwang, Valerie Concepcion, Erik Santos, Mark Bautista, Angelica Panganiban, Shaina Magdayao, Mariel Rodriguez, Nikki Gil, Enchong Dee, Kim Chiu and Diether Ocampo appealed to the public to do the same.

Read More>>

Bombs found in Metro Manila; destabilization on?

MANILA, Philippines – Is there an ongoing destabilization operation? Yesterday, a bomb was found at the Department of Agriculture (DA) in Quezon City, a day after the Office of the Ombudsman, also in Quezon City, was bombed.

Agriculture Secretary Arthur Yap told reporters the DA incident might be part of a concerted effort to sow destabilization or confusion.

Read more…