The flooded cities of Pampanga, Bulacan and Nueva Ecija
Typhoons “Pedring” and “Quiel” has already left the country but the destruction and floods caused by these typhoons still haunts the residents of Bulacan, Pampanga and Nueva Ecija.
And amidst the crisis faced by the Filipinos, they clamor for the presence of “Father” of the country which is the President Benigno Aquino III.
Critics and even the speaker of the House asked the President to visit the areas affected by the Typhoon and at least have photo ops so that the said residents can at least feel that they are also important to the President and feel encouraged.
Meanwhile, the Malacanang Palace said the President has been busy fixing the Disaster Preparedness of the country that’s why he hasn’t been around for the past days. The preparedness of the country once again gain criticisms for not learning from the past typhoon disasters.
However, in recent news, the President is already visiting the affected areas as of press time. He visited Tarlac first then will visit Bulacan and Pampanga within the day. While affected residents said that more than the presence of the President, what they need is support, concrete action plans and relief goods from the government.
MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court has been asked by a lawmaker to reverse the ruling of the Commission on Elections, which allowed President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to run for Congress in her hometown Pampanga.
In her petition, Akbayan Representative Risa Hontiveros also asked the high court to issue a temporary restraining order on the inclusion of Arroyo’s name in the ballots for the 2nd district of Pampanga.
“A local candidate is only allowed to spend P1.50 per voter, while GMA spent P459 million in infrastructure projects in her district last year alone. A congressional candidate cannot have campaign posters bigger than 2 feet by 3 feet, but GMA [Arroyo’s initials] can produce – using government funds – tarpaulins that are half as wide as Commenwealth Ave. A candidate for congressman is barred from conferring with the Board of Election Inspectors, but GMA can – and actually did – call a Comelec commissioner to secure her votes. The injustice and unfairness of her candidacy is patent,” Hontiveros said.
MANILA, Philippines – The Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) announced Sunday that 37,527 out of 94,462 passed the Nurse Licensure Examination given by the Board of Nursing.
The examination was given in the cities of Manila, Baguio, Butuan, Cagayan de Oro, Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, La Union, Legazpi, Lucena, Pagadian, Pampanga, Sulu, Tacloban, Tuguegarao and Zamboanga last November 2009.
The results of examination with respect to sixteen (16) examinees were withheld pending final determination of their liabilities under the rules and regulations governing licensure examination.
MANILA, Philippines – President Arroyo poured a whopping P459 million worth of infrastructure projects in the second district of Pampanga, where she’s seeking a congressional seat in 2010, according to documents provided by Liberal Party senatorial candidate Akbayan Rep. Risa Hontiveros.
Documents from the Department of Public Works and Highways as of Nov. 30, 2009 show that most of the projects involved construction or improvement of roads, drainages, and desilting and declogging of rivers.
It smacks of electioneering and should be a reason to disqualify the President from joining the congressional race, Hontiveros said. The lady lawmaker has filed a disqualification case against President Arroyo.
MANILA – President Arroyo on Tuesday filed her certificate of candidacy to run for the 2nd congressional district of Pampanga, making her the first incumbent president in Philippine history to run for a lower position.
Arroyo first heard Mass at the St. Augustine Church in her hometown of Lubao, Pampanga before proceeding to the local Commission on Elections office. She was accompanied by her husband, Jose Miguel, while hundreds of supporters cheered.
Mrs. Arroyo earlier said she made her decision to stay in government due to the clamor of her supporters in Pampanga. “After much contemplation I realized I am not ready to step down completely from public service,” she said in a radio interview.
SASMUAN, PAMPANGA — President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo did not feel threatened by the multitudes of people who had gathered for the burial of former President Corazon Aquino on Wednesday, a Malacañang official said here on Thursday.
Analysts, however, say the resurgence of the “people power” movement after the death of Aquino has damaged her political foe, Ms Arroyo.
“We have nothing to be threatened [about],” said the President’s deputy spokesperson, Lorelei Fajardo. “We’re happy to see that our people have shown their support and love for our nation again and that’s a good sign.”
SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga, Philippines – Police teams in each of this province’s 20 towns and one city will escort today from their respective areas 4,688 ballot boxes containing votes cast in the 2007 elections for transport to the Commission on Elections’ central office in Manila tomorrow for the gubernatorial recount.
Comelec provincial supervisor Temmie Lambino said he received instructions from the Comelec central office last Saturday to move “within five days” the ballot boxes to Manila for the “revision” or recount of votes, as petitioned by former provincial board member Lilia Pineda.
Presidential son and Pampanga Rep. Juan Miguel “Mikey” Arroyo said Wednesday he is willing to help priest-turned-governor Eddie Panlilio until the administration Lakas-Kampi-CMD party picks its standard bearer for the 2010 elections.
In a telephone interview with GMANews.TV, Arroyo said he can “humbly offer [his] services” to Panlilio if the latter asks for it, as long as his party Lakas-Kampi-CMD has not told him to campaign for another presidential candidate.
“As long as my political party hasn’t ordered me to campaign for a different individual, I can offer my services to Gov. Panlilio in whatever capacity I can,” Arroyo said.
Former Pampanga Gov. Mark Lapid has denied anomalies in a P47-million geographic information system project undertaken by the provincial government during his term.
Lapid, now chief of the Philippine Tourism Authority, issued the denial on Sunday after the Inquirer reported that Gov. Eddie Panlilio had asked the provincial board to set aside funds for the legal actions that would be pursued against private contractor Geodata Solution Inc.
Panlilio was moving to seek the help of the court to recover the P47 million paid to the company or at least compel it to fully implement the project.
He sought redress after a special audit by the Commission on Audit showed that 10 programs in the project were not fully operational, said provincial administrator Vivian Dabu.