After shock Magnitude 4.7 earthquake Moro Gulf Area in Mindanao

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) said the quake was recorded at 9:40 p.m.,the epicenter 50 km southwest of Cotabato.

It is said that three hours after a magnitude-6 quake rocked the area, a magnitude-4.7 quake hit the Moro Gulf area in Mindanao. No casualties and damage was recorded.

The USGS traced the epicenter traced to 45 km southwest of Cotabato; 115 km south southeast of Pagadian; 160 km northwest of General Santos City; or 915 km south southeast of Manila.

Radio dzBB reported the quake was felt at Intensity IV in Pagadian and Cotabato; Intensity III in Zamboanga City; and Intensity II in Kidapawan. It was tectonic in origin.

Solidum Tells That There’s No reason to panic as Batanes continues to be rattled by moderate quakes

MANILA, March 9 — Twin predawn earthquakes rocked Batanes Islands Tuesday, after a series of temblors struck northern Philippines in the past weeks.

Renator Solidum, Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, said the first tremor occurred 1:22 a.m., measuring 5.1 in magnitude.

The 11-kilometer deep shaker was traced 35 kilometers southeast of capital town, Basco. Intensity 5 was felt in Uyugan town, while intensity 4 was reported in Basco and Sabtang towns.

Intensity 5 is considered moderately strong and can be felt by most people indoors and outdoors; it can awaken people who are asleep and may cause panic and some run outdoors.

Read More>>

DFA confirms 2 fatalities in Haiti’s earthquake.

Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed the death of two Filipino’s in the magnitude-7 earthquake that devastates Haiti last week. The two Filipino’s were known as Jerome Yap, a UN Staffer in Haiti and Pearlie Panagui, a clerk in the Office of the Force Commander at Minustah.

Yap’s body, along with the body of Luis Carlos Da Costa, which Yap served as executive assistant, were both found in buried in the building of UN Stabilization Mission that collapsed caused by the earthquake.

While Navy Petty Officer3 Pearlie Panagui was in the 2nd floor of Christopher Hotel where her remains found by rescue operators.

Lieutenant Colorner Romeo Brawner Jr. said there are Filipinos’ still missing, namely Air Force Sergeant Janice Arocena and Army Sergeant Eustacio Bermudes Jr.  Another Filipina, Geraldine Calican, is still trapped in the Caribbean Supermarket. On the other hand, two Filipinas, Grace Fabian and Aurora Aguinaldo, were saved from the Supermarket.

Only 165 FIlipinos out of 700, including 172 are confirmed safe and alive. And Lt. Col. Brawner said all efforts are being done to rescue those who are still missing and hoping more lives will be save.

Read more>>

Big One sure to come; question is when, are we prepared?

MANILA, Philippines — The 7.0-magnitude earthquake that struck Haiti a few days ago can happen in Metro Manila, according to seismologists and geologists.

The question is: Are we prepared?

It appears that we are not. Experts said preparations should begin in earnest to minimize damage to be caused by the big one.

Director Renato Solidum of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said “a strong earthquake can happen” in Metro Manila or anywhere in the country.

He noted that a 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck Luzon in 1990 and a 7.1-magnitude quake shook Mindoro in 1994. “It can happen again,” Solidum said.

Read More>>

Filipino rescued from collapsed Haiti building

MANILA, Philippines – One of the four missing members of the Philippine delegation to the United Nations in earthquake-hit Haiti has been rescued, a spokesman of the Armed Forces of the Philippines said Thursday.

In an interview, Lieutenant Colonel Romeo Brawner Jr., Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesman, said that at 11:30 a.m. (Manila time), the military received a report that Corporal David Catacutan was rescued by members of the Philippine contingent at the Montana Hotel.

Brawner said that based on initial medical examination, Catacutan sustained bruises but was now recovering at the headquarters of the Philippine peacekeeping mission in Haiti.

Brawner said that the family “has been informed about the rescue last night.”

Read More>>

Filipino soldier rescued from collapsed Haiti building

MANILA, Philippines – One of the four soldiers trapped inside a collapsed hotel after a devastating earthquake hit Haiti has already been rescued, according to the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

AFP spokesman Lt. Col. Romeo Brawner Jr. said Corporal David Catacutan was hauled out from the rubble of the Montana Hotel in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, around 11:30 a.m. today.

Catacutan, a member of the Philippine contingent forces in Haiti, sustained slight contusions due to the incident, which was triggered by a magnitude-7.2 earthquake yesterday. He was already brought to his detachment to rest and recuperate from his injuries.

Three other Filipino military personnel – Perlie Panague of the Philippine Navy, Sgt. Janice Arocena of the Air Force and Sgt. Eustacio Bermudes Jr. of the Army – have yet to be accounted for.

But Brawner expressed confidence that they will rescue other Filipino soldiers who remain trapped in Christopher Hotel where the UN headquarters is located.

Read More>>

4.6 magnitude quake hits Ilocos Sur

MANILA, Philippines—(UPDATE) A 4.6 magnitude earthquake shook the northern Philippines at 12:57 p.m. (0457 GMT) Wednesday, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injury.

The inland quake was located 33 kilometers northwest of Vigan and had a depth of 32 kilometers, said Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology director Renato Solidum.

Read Full Story