Typhoon Pablo, 2nd Deadliest Typhoon

There’s a total of 1,500 feared dead due to typhoon Pablo which considered as the second worst storm to lash the Philippines.

According to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council head Ramos, at last count yesterday was in 1,067 that confirmed dead in the disaster while over 800 are still missing after nearly three weeks ago.

Ramos believes that Typhoon Pablo could surpass the number of killed people by typhoon Sendong December last year that reached 1,268.

If it happens, typhoon Pablo will be the second deadliest typhoon.

Recall that Typhoon Thelma killed 5,101 people in 1991.

Meanwhile, thousands of residents are still homeless after flash floods sweep.

The officials hope that there will be no major health problems to the affected residents.

“Paskong Pinoy” in Rizal Park, Winner!

The “Paskong Pinoy” by the National Parks Development Committee (NPDC) launched successfully in Rizal Park after 3 million people visited the celebration of Christmas and welcoming the year 2013.

National Parks Development Committee (NPDC) Executive Director Juliet Villegas said that the visit and continued patronage of millions of Filipinos in the Philippines famed park sets to history record this month of December in particular day of December 24, 25, and 31, 2012 until January 1, 2013. It only shows that Rizal Park or former Luneta is reviving its beauty and energy.

Villegas added that the celebration of Christmas and New Year under the theme “Paskong Pinoy 2012” was successful due to the effort of NPDC with Department of Toursim, City of Manila, and corporate sponsors such as Asia Brewery Inc., Uni-Silver TIME and Mario de Boro, as well as the support of media such as TV, radio and print.

Meanwhile, except for a few incidents of lost children they were immediately turned back to their parents or companions. The celebration was peaceful despite the large amount of people in the park.

413 Fireworks Victim

The victims who welcome 2013 in the country have reached to 413 people according to the Department of Health (DOH).

At a press conference conducted at the East Avenue Medical Center in Quezon City, said Health Secretary Enrique Ona to the recorded 413 victims here are 404 fireworks-related injuries, 8 cases of Stray bullet and another of the ingestion or edible fireworks.

Ona said that such number is lower by 17% compared to cases recorded last year.

For the past 5 years, the cases of fireworks-related injuries are lowering down in DOH records and the active campaign of DOH against firecrackers is said to be a great help.

Many fireworks are also reportedly high quality and safe to use, knowing that prohibited fireworks are strictly monitored therefore the fireworks being sold in the market are not becoming very dangerous.

Ona admits that their monitoring is still on-going since it is expected to have more record of cases within the next day because some are still using their leftover firecrackers. DOH reminds again not to glean un-exploded fireworks because it is more dangerous.

“Ito ang ating nagi­ging problema na may mga paputok na itinapon na pinupulot naman lalo ng mga bata kaya dapat bantayan ng mga magulang ang kanilang mga anak,” Ona added.

Our Miss Universe

 

She may not get the crown as Miss Universe, But our countrymen is proud of Ms. Janine Tugonon winning as the first runner-up of such beauty pageant because she just proved the best qualities of Filipina and being ‘world-class’ of the Filipino.

“Ms. Janine Tugonon, by winning 1st runner-up in the Miss Universe pageant, held up the country’s banner and showed the world, once again, the grace, sophistication and beauty that Filipinas possess,” said deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte.

“From her winning as Binibining Pilipinas to representing our proud nation on the stage of Miss Universe, the Filipino people have supported Ms. Tugonon throughout her journey and in the hearts of our countrymen; she is our winner, our Miss Philippines. With the victory of Ms. Tugonon, we find even more proof of the exceptional characteristics of Filipinas and Filipinos to be truly world-class,” Valte added.

Many Filipinos alleged that Tugonon should have be the Miss Universe since her answer is great in the Q&A portion compared to the winner, Olivia Culpo of USA.

The Filipina beauty was given a Twitter question from Judge Nigel Barker, “As an international ambassador, do you believe that speaking English should be a prerequisite to being Miss Universe? Why or why not?”

Tugonon responds, “For me, being Miss Universe is not just about knowing how to speak a specific language. It’s being able to influence and inspire other people. As long as your heart wants to serve and you have a strong mind to show people, then you can be Miss Universe.”

“Janine’s win in the Miss Universe pageant is a triumph for the Filipino people and the perfect way to end the year,” statement of Vice President Jejomar Binay.Tugonon’s triumph as the 1st runner-up is also considered as every Filipinos achievement.

According to Binay, the attainment of Tugonon proves that Filipino women stand out in beauty pageants.

 

Stormy Christmas

The supervised low pressure area (LPA) is expected to become a storm in the Pacific Ocean and expected to enter the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) four days before Christmas.

Because of this, the weather in the east of Visayas and Mindanao is constantly monitored by the weather forecaster of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA).

According to PAGASA weather forecaster Chris Perez, such bad weather is expected to enter PAR’s this coming Friday, December 21.

It is possible that the upcoming storm will pass through the provinces that were greatly affected by the typhoon “Pablo” in the first part of the month, December.

If the expected storm enters the country’s territory, it will be called typhoon “Quinta”.

Divorce Bill Next To Be Tackled By The Congress

After the successful approval of Reproductive Health (RH) bill that was greatly opposed by the Catholic Church, Divorce bill will be followed in turn by the Lower House of Congress.

House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. himself is said to favor RH bill that is still pending in the House committee on constitutional amendments and only once had a hearing on this proposal by Gabriela partylist Rep. Luzviminda Ilagan.

“Ako, I’m in favor of the Divorce bill. It’s in the back of our mind,” Belmonte stated in a press conference yesterday afternoon in the chamber when questioned if RH bill will be followed by Divorce bill.

Like with the RH bill, Catholic Church strongly opposed to Divorce bill because they believe it will just destroy the Filipino family as it makes separation easily between the spouses who are having conflict with their marriage.

However, despite the opposition of the Catholic Church on the RH bill it is still approved by both Houses of Congress on third and final reading and immediately passed to bicameral conference committee.

“Kung hindi na ba talaga kayo magkasundo, bakit pa kayo nagsasama.” According to Belmonte that shares his side of support to Divorce bill.

However, Belmonte said, dealing with Divorce bill will not be on the 15th Congress due to lack of time so they might start it in the next Congress.

Ifugao Rep. Tedy Baguilat stated that issue of RH bill is way different from divorce bill. Therefore this matter is possible to pass through the eye of a needle in the next congress.

“Baka puwedeng pagaanin na lang ang annulment case at maglagay na lang tayo ng masa maraming family court,” said Baguilat.

In this regard, Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Emeritus Oscar Cruz wasn’t surprised with the legislators’ plan to add in a Divorce bills once the issue of Reproductive Health (RH) bill ends.

“Alam na po namin ‘yan, talagang panimula lang ang RH bill at isusunod ‘yang Divorce bill, pati same sex marriage, pero ang nakapagtataka talaga, anong klaseng pamahalaan nga ba meron tayo? Imbes pag-isahin tayong mga Filipino, hinahati tayo, pinabababa ang moral ng mga tao,” Cruz stated in an interview.

“Nauunawaan ko kung mayroong mang mga magngingitngit. Nanghihinayang ako, dalawang taon pa lamang sila nakapuwesto, ganito na ang nangyayari, napakabilis nilang manira ng kultura,” Cruz added.

 

RH Bill Finally Approved

After a year of debate in plenary, the controversial Reproductive Health (RH) bill is approved in the Senate and House after the ‘second and third reading’.

In polling done in the Senate, 13-8 in favor of proposal and no ‘abstention’ while the Lower House of Congress, 133 voted Yes, No, 79 and 7 abstention.

The senators who voted “yes” on the RH bill were Joker Arroyo, Alan Peter Cayetano, Pia Cayetano, Edgardo Angara, Francis Escudero, Miriam Defensor-Santiago, Ralph Recto, Ferdinand Marcos Jr.., Loren Legarda, Teofisto Guingona II, Franklin Drilon, Francis Pangilinan and Panfilo Lacson.

In other turn, ‘no’ vote were from senators Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile, Bong Revilla, Vicente Sotto III, Antonio Trillanes IV, Aqui­lino Pimentel III, Jinggoy Estrada, Manuel Villar and Gregorio Honasan.

The two senators, Sen. Serge Osmeña and Sen Lito Lapid weren’t able to vote since they were out in the plenary when the voting of RH bill was done.

Before the vote, Sotto stood aside to insert some amendments to such bills.

Arroyo also hopes that the decision of the Senate and House in the RH bill will be respected in the bicameral conference committee.

Lacson also praised Enrile and Sotto due to their resistance to their ‘beliefs’ and ‘conviction’ of such measures.

Meanwhile in the House, it appears to raise more yes vote compared on second reading last week that only reaches 113 while it is noticeable that no votes lessen more that first earned 104 votes.

Because of this, Albay Rep.. Edcel Lagman said their contingent is already preparing for Bicameral conference meeting that is expected to do today.

“We are now preparing for the Bicam,” Lagman said after polling ended, he said, with almost 18 years of fighting to have the RH law in the Philippines.

“Eto na ang pinakamasayang araw,” stated Iloilo Rep. Janette Garin after the polls.

Taguig Risen Against Illegal Drugs

The City of Taguig comes second to its campaign countering illegal drugs contrary to the allegations that Taguig Police isn’t doing a move against the proliferation of drugs.

The Taguig Police are in hot water because of allegations of shabu recycling however to the issued accomplishment Report of the Anti-Illegal Drugs Campaign and Anti-Illegal Drugs Special Operations Task Group (SOTG-DAID) of the Southern Police District consist of Pasay, Makati, Parañaque, Las Piñas, Taguig and Pateros Taguig Police have recorded the amount of P1.9M seized shabu or up to 160.55 grams from the month of January to November 12.

According to SPD, based on their report Taguig City will be considered successful in their campaign against illegal drugs as well as its successive operations against drug pushers, also filed cases against 119 individuals arrested 62 in which it big time drug pusher includes syndicate leader named Elia Particle and 45 drug users also. Led in turn to list the Las Piñas Police confiscated a total of 424.70 grams or with a street value P5M.

Atty. Darwin Icay, spokesman of Nacionalista Party-Taguig have defend the city of Taguig to all its critics stating drug related problems got worst in the City.  Icay said that is not true and the accomplishment of the city said to support this.

Dead Due to Typhoon “Pablo” Has Reached 714.

Yesterday, the confirmed dead from the typhoon Pablo in the country has already reached 714.

In the last notes of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), 457 of the recovered corpse are identified while the 257 are still unrecognized and still on the process of trying to determine the identity.

Although there’s no storm, the state of national calamity is still up, particularly in the worst devastated areas caused by “Pablo”.

Still according to the NDRRMC, 114,583 households destroyed by the storm and 29 bridges and roads are still impassable because of the damage it left.

In summary, a total of P7, 116,388,040.07 amount of storm damage to infrastructure, agriculture and other property.

Justin Bieber Mocks Manny Pacquiao With Offending Photos On Instagram

 

For some congressman, the offensive pictures of Manny Pacquiao when he fell down posted made by the Canadian singer and teen sensation Justin Bieber on the internet was an open profanity and mockery.

In two photographs uploaded by Bieber’s thru Instagram, Shows the fallen bodies of Philippine pride positioned vertically adjacent next to the late King of Pop Michael Jackson while doing the famous ‘leaning dance step’ that has a caption, “Pacquiao doing the lean with MJ…Classic moment” and the other is the knockout shot on the canvas which in turn adds Lion King Simba cartoon character that pushed to see the bottom of faced down Pacquiao with caption, “Dad wake up”.

In anger of Yacap party list Rep. Carol Jane Lopez, She imposed to ban Bieber in the Philippines and do not allow to re-invoke concert here and appeal to fellow citizen – particularly young people – to sabotage the songs and videos of the young international singer.

According to the lady solon, Bieber allegedly insulted not just Pacquiao on his derision but the entire Filipino so it is right to be declared “persona non-grata,” in the Philippines.

“Sobra naman ang ginawa niya. Ininsulto ang hero ng mga Filipino sa boxing,” Lopez’s statement admitting he didn’t like Bieber’s act towards the fellow Sarangani congressman.

“Dapat lang siyang i-ban dito sa Pilipinas at iboykot ang kanyang mga kanta. Hindi niya alam na mara­ming Filipino ang bumili ng kanyang album tapos ganyan ang gagawin sa isang Pinoy. Kahit hindi si Manny ang kanyang ininsulto, hindi pa rin ito katanggap-tanggap,” Said Lopez.

Lawmakers said that Bieber is taking it personally against the rival of the boxer he’s supporting, Floyd Mayweather Jr.., And Pacquiao.

Bieber had a concert in the Philippines recently and was mobbed by young Filipino so today it is said that he does not owe the fans that included Filipinos who put him in the state he is now.

Everyone knows that Bieber has many Filipino followers on his social media accounts so it is allegedly right to extend to him that fellow countryman of Pacquiao didn’t like what he did.

“Dapat niyang malaman na ang iniinsulto niya ay mahal ng mga Filipino,” According to Lopez.