Maybe, many people feel weird when they are seeing their Facebook friends posting weird pictures of a person lying face down with arms to the side in a public places. Yes, it is really strange, bizarre, odd or any adjective words that would describe how weird it is.
Believe it or not, it is now a Facebook sensation. And guess what? It is popular and it is around the globe. Even, Hollywood celebrities planked. Justin Bieber planked on a boat, Katy Perry planked on a yacht, Chris Brown planked on a circle, Kristen Bell planked on a railing, Ellen Page planked on a traffic cone and Flavor Flav planked on a truck bed. Truly, PLANKING is what everyone trying to do.
According to Tom Green, a former MTV host, Planking or ‘the lying down game’ started in the year 1994. He posted a video on YouTube to show that he is the one started the internet sensation in his local TV show in Canada. However, this ridiculous action gains popularity last March 2011, when the pro-rugby player David “Wolfman” Williams planked after a try during Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles vs. Newcastle Knights game. Additionally, the term ‘planking’ was coined by Paul Carran during2008.
Planking spread quickly among Australian youths. It has an official Facebook page that gains 130,000 fans within the first week.
Rules of Planking. According to the official Facebook page, the following rules should be kept in mind: You must always lay face down, ensuring your face remains expressionless for the duration of the Plank.
- Your legs must remain straight, and together with toes pointed.
- Your arms must be placed by your side, held straight and fingers pointed.
- You must make it known that you are Planking. Saying ‘I am Planking’ usually get this across. Sternly announcing it will ensure a good result.
- Your safety should always be considered. Properly thought through Planking procedures should always go to plan. Never put yourself at undue risk.
- Every Plank that is captured must be named.
In the Philippines:
Now, planking also invades Philippines. It is popular among college students. Facebook pages have also created to represent their school in a PLANKING sensation.