One person died and at least 400 more were infected with anthrax after eating double-dead carabao meat in Cagayan province last week, a provincial health officer said Tuesday.
Dr. Danilo Alonzo, Cagayan provincial health chief, said the fatality was the first case of anthrax they recorded in Lasam town. He said the man died of a heart attack, which they suspect was aggravated by the effects of the anthrax disease.
“The first case was recorded in a hospital in Lasam. He died [of a heart disease], but the doctor saw blisters and the man had skin infections,” Alonzo said, adding that these area signs of an anthrax infection.
Earlier reports said more than 50 people were infected by the bacteria, but Alonzo said there were actually 400 cases.