This “institution” is probably one of the few places in Baguio City where one can still see the last remaining examples of “Baguio Colonial” architecture. To Filipinos who have gone to Baguio City, the mere mention of the words “Teachers’ Camp” conjures images of a government facility frozen in time, redeemed only perhaps by the extremely inexpensive accommodations it can offer to travelers who are budget-challenged.
This view of Teachers’ Camp is understandable. Considering that this institution was established in 1908, it’s a miracle that it even stands today, as most of Baguio City was carpet bombed during World War II. Postwar rebuilding could have also endangered it. And so would have the Filipinos’ penchant for anything new. Thankfully, our education officials are conscious of heritage conservation. These officials probably saw through the quaint charm of colonial structures and either through nostalgia or pragmatism, chose to retain what now could be the camp’s saving grace.