PARIS — An auction dispersing the vast art collection of the late fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent lived up to expectations after billing it as the “sale of the century.”
The auction exceeded sales estimates and wrapped up without incident Wednesday despite a storm of controversy over two lots China said had been stolen and insisted it wanted returned.
The collection of Saint Laurent and his partner Pierre Berge brought a total of more than €373 million ($484 million) — and broke several world records — over the three-day auction, said the organizer, Christie’s.
That was well over the €200 million-€300 million the 733-piece sale had been expected to fetch. Berge told reporters at the closing news conference he was “very, very happy with the result.”